Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lobster Thermidor

Sprouts was having an awesome sale on lobster. $4.99 each!! I've never cooked lobster so I searched a few websites for advice. I found several different recipes for Lobster Thermidor on allrecipes.com and recipezaar.com. None of the recipes were exactly what I wanted so I decided to make up my own based on some of the ingredients and methods I liked. This turned out so good. I would definitely make it again if the price is right for lobster.



Lobster Thermidor

2 - 4 oz lobster tails
2 Tbs butter
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp thyme
1/8 cup flour
1 cup Italian shredded cheese blend

Steam or boil lobsters for 8 minutes or until they turn red. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In the meantime, melt butter in a sauce pan and add garlic. Saute until garlic is light brown. Add chicken broth, milk, and wine. Stir in spices and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add flour slowly and blend until sauce is smooth and slightly thickens. Take lobster our of pot or steamer and let cool until you can handle them with bare hands. Butterfly the lobster tails by cutting them down the center of the top with kitchen shears. The meat will be exposed but don't completely remove it from the shells. Place lobster in an oven safe dish. Pour the sauce over the lobster and cover with cheese. Place in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.

No comments: