Tuesday, June 16, 2009

BBQ Bean Soup

I saw a recipe on A Year of Slow Cooking Blog for a baked bean soup that tasted like pork and beans but better. It sounded great but I didn't have all the ingredients and I wanted to mix it up a bit. I also didn't feel like dragging out my crockpot so I just made this on the stove top. This is a very versatile recipe. If you want to make this as a side dish to take to a BBQ just reduce the water.



BBQ Bean Soup
Inspired by A Year of Slow Cooking

1 lb dry pinto beans or 2 cans pinto beans
2 cans tomato sauce
6 cups water
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp garlic
1/2 onion
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
3 strips thick bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 Tbs yellow mustard
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
1 Serrano pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup Kraft Honey BBQ sauce


If using dry beans then rinse, boil, and let soak over night or use the quick method from the back of the bean package.

Toss all of the ingredients into a large stock pot and bring to a low boil for 2 hours. Stir occasionally. Or put all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low 10 hours or high 5 hours.

No comments: