Thursday, June 18, 2009
adapted from World Foodie Guide
48 round dumpling wrappers
1 lb bag cabbage & carrots slaw mix
3 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 serrano pepper, finely diced
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp garlic
1/4 cup Kikoman soy sauce
I made half vegetable dumplings and half a combination of pork and vegetable.
1. Remove the dumpling wrappers from the freezer and let defrost while cooking the vegetables.
2. For the vegetable mixture add the slaw mix, cilantro, pepper, ginger, garlic, and half of the soy sauce to a frying pan. Heat over medium until the vegetables soften (about 8 minutes). Set aside in a bowl and let cool.
3. Fill a small bowl with water. Dip your finger in the water and outline a dumpling wrapper to moisten around the edge. Place about 1 teaspoon of vegetable mixture in the center of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper over and seal. Repeat this for 24 dumplings.
4. Heat about 3 Tbs oil in the frying pan over medium heat. Add 12 dumplings to the pan. Let fry until brown on one side (about 4 minutes). Add a cup of water to the pan and continue to cook for 1 minute. Strain the dumplings from the liquid and set aside in a single layer to cool. Repeat this step for the other 12 dumplings.
5. Cook pork in a pan over medium heat until brown. Set aside to cool. Mix the pork with the remaining vegetable mixture.
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the pork/vegetable dumplings.
7. Serve with soy sauce or create your own dipping sauce.