I made this cake in honor of my friend Christy who's birthday falls on leap day so this year was her "11th birthday" (shhh she's really 44!).
This cake was a single layer banana cake that I made using a recipe I found on allrecipes.com but with a few modifications.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice I used cinnamon instead
- I added a small package of sugar free banana pudding to the mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt and allspice together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and egg white and beat well. Add the mashed banana, vanilla and milk. Add the flour mixture and mix until well blended.
- Divide batter into two 9 inch pans (I poured all the batter into one 9 inch pan). Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes (since I used one pan I had to bake it for 45 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely and frost with Cream Cheese Frosting (I used the butter cream recipe for the Wilton I class).