Saturday, May 10, 2008

Wilton Course III Final Cake






This is my final cake for Course III. The bottom tier is an 8" round cake and the top tier is a 6" round cake. If I did this again I would use a 10" round cake for the bottom tier. It still turned out ok but to me the proportion of the bottom cake to the top cake is a little small. I used 2 boxes of white cake mix to make these cakes. Each one is a double layer with white butter cream frosting between each layer. We had the option of using fondant or butter cream to cover the cakes. I chose to use white fondant. This is the same fondant recipe that I posted in the Tiffany box post. The roses and leaves are made out of fondant too. These take A LOT of time to make. Don't start on them the night before like I did. It took me 6+ hours to make 40 roses. The leaves and small white flowers can be made in about 30 minutes. We assembled the cake in class. The "skirt" around the bottom of the cakes is made out of butter cream icing. This requires more butter cream than I planned for. If you have 1.5 to 2 cups of butter cream that should be enough for the skirt and to glue the roses and leaves on. I only brought 1 cup. If you cover the cakes with fondant then you will glue the small white flowers on with clear vanilla or clear almond extract. I used almond extract and some people thought it tasted like there was rum in the cake. After you glue the small white flowers on then you will make the centers with tip 1 or 2 and butter cream icing.

I think this cake turned out really well. Everyone was impressed including myself. My teacher said this exact cake will sell for $150 to $200 in a bakery. Not bad for something that costs about $10 to make.

No comments: