Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bunco Party

We had a bunco party last night at Erin's house to raise money for the 3 Day walk and Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. We had over 20 people come and raised at least $500 (some donations are still coming in).

Here is a sample of what was on the menu:
Sweet & Spicy Meatballs*
Chicken Empanadas
Hummus, Pita Bread, & Veggies
Cheese Dip & Chips
Deviled Eggs
Buffalo Chicken Dip*
Chex Mix*
Gorp or White Trash or whatever you want to call it Chex mix*
Brownies
Dirt Cake
Strawberry Mirror Pink Ribbon Cake*
Margaritas*
Strawberry Daiquiris
Soda & Water*

(and my pink ribbon chocolate pops that I forgot to bring)*

*Items I made or brought



I wanted to do something a little different than the pink ribbon cake I took to Martie's bunco party earlier this month. I got the idea for a strawberry mirror cake from Peabody's blog:
http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/2007/07/30/mirror-mirroron-the-wall/
but I changed the method a little. My pink ribbon cake pan isn't as nifty for molding gelatin as a spring form cake pan. Here is how I did it.

1. Bake cake and turn out of cake pan. Let cake cool in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
2. Frost cake with a thin but not transparent layer of icing.
3. Create a barrier around the area to be filled with gelatin with a large star tip (I used tip 133).
4. Make strawberry gelatin according to the quick set directions on the package (boil 1 cup water, add package of gelatin, stir for 3 minutes, add ice cubes and continue to stir until the gelatin is thick but not set).
5. Fill the area you bordered with a very thin layer of gelatin.
6. Put cake back in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until gelatin is set.
7. Finish the sides of the cake with the star tip #133. This should cover any gelatin that ran over the border.

No comments: