Sunday, April 27, 2008

Chocolate Waffles

I was in the mood for something sweet this morning and I also wanted to use my waffle maker. I pink puffy heart my waffle maker. It is so fun to use and I love experimenting with different batters. So far I tried 2 kinds of traditional Belgium waffle batters, a spice (gingerbread-like) batter, and now a chocolate waffle batter. The chocolate waffles we good but the spice is still my favorite. I adapted a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. I thought the waffles we a little dry so next time I will add more milk.

Chocolate Waffles II
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Waffles-II/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS

2 (1 ounce) squares semisweet baking chocolate (I used 1/3 cup chocolate chips)
1 cup butter, softened (I used 4 Tbs)
1 cup white sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk (next time I will use 3/4 cup)
(I added 1/2 tsp cream of tarter)

(I added 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips to the batter at the end)


DIRECTIONS

In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate until melted. Stir occasionally until chocolate is smooth. Set aside.
In a bowl, mix the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Stir in chocolate and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add gradually to the butter and sugar mixture, alternating with the milk.
Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until crisp.

MY DIRECTIONS
Separate eggs. Add egg whites and cream of tarter to a large bowl and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Mix in the sugar, egg yolks, baking powder, salt, and milk. Add 1/3 cup of chocolate ships and butter to a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 1 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted. Add to egg white mixture. Stir in flour. Mix in mini chocolate chips. Add 1/2 batter to preheated Belgium waffle maker. Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until slightly
crisp. Remove from waffle maker and top with powdered sugar, whip cream, strawberries, and/or chocolate syrup. Repeat with the remaining batter. Yields 2 Belgium waffles.




No comments: