Sunday, November 11, 2007

Beer Bread

I was browsing the web and I stumbled across this recipe. There are only six ingredients and five of them are always in my kitchen. Beer tends to disappear very quickly in our house. I went grocery shopping yesterday and brought home a six-pack among other things. I knew if I was going to make this recipe then I needed to either hide one of the beer bottles or make this recipe immediately. I opted for the later just to be safe. I started measuring out ingredients before I even put away all the groceries.



Beer Bread
allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer (I used Budweiser Select)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Pour in beer, stir until a stiff batter is formed. It may be necessary to mix dough with your hands. Scrape dough into prepared loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.

This recipe was super simple. The flavor will change depending on the type of beer you use. I would also suggest adding a little bit of butter on top before you put it in the oven so it will get slightly brown. Overall this was not bad but I might try other beer bread recipes before I make this one again.

No comments: