Sunday, November 11, 2007

Chicken Fried Steak

Being from Texas you probably would have thought that I grew up on chicken fried steak. I actually never even tried it until I was in college. Now it is one of my favorite foods. My hubby makes the best chicken fried steak that I have ever had. One day he was going to make it for me but we were all out of bread, bread crumbs, or anything we normally might use for breading. We did however have several bags of pretzels. We decided to crush the pretzels and use that for breading. It was so good. We will never use anything else for breading ever again. It comes out so much crispier. Since I like things spicy he also adds a "daring dash" of cayenne to the breading mixture. "Daring dash" was his term because its not too much that it overwhelms the taste but its just enough to give it a kick.


Chicken Fried Steak
By Chase

Tenderized cube steak (1 per person)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 Tsp milk
vegetable oil

Breading:
1 cup crushed pretzels
1 daring dash of cayenne
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried onion

Fill a saucepan with vegetable oil (1-2 inches deep). Heat the oil to medium. Whisk the eggs and milk in a shallow dish. Dip the steaks in the egg/milk mixture then cover them with the breading mixture. Cook one steak at a time in the oil until it gets brown. Approximately 4 minutes on each side. Serve with gravy.

No comments: