Find the 4-Leaf Clover Rolls
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons superfine sugar (caster sugar)
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 teaspoons dry active yeast
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups flour, plus a bit extra if needed
2 tablespoons , melted for brushing, for lining bowl and pans
- Warm the milk until lukewarm.
- In a large bowl pour in the lukewarm milk, stir in sugar, the 4 tablespoons of softened butter and the yeast. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add eggs and salt to the mixture.
- Stir in 4 cups of flour a little at a time adding more if needed to get a rough dough texture.
- Knead dough until smooth (about 5-10 minutes).
- Place the dough into a clean bowl coated with shortening; cover with tea towel and let sit in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Coat 2 muffin pans with shortening.
- Punch down raised dough and roll into balls, sized to fit 3 into each cup in the pan. Make a few to fit four balls in the pan for the 4-leaf clovers.
- Cover the pans with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400F; brush the rolls with the melted butter and bake about 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Let cool slightly before serving.